25.2 C
Accra
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
HomeGhanaInterpol Arrest Romance Scammers in Africa

Interpol Arrest Romance Scammers in Africa

Date:

A major International Police (INTERPOL) operation across 14 African countries has led to the arrest of 260 suspected scammers, with Ghanaian authorities playing a pivotal role by apprehending 68 individuals and seizing a significant haul of evidence.

According to an Interpol statement, the coordinated crackdown, dubbed Operation Contender 3.0, targeted criminal networks exploiting social media and dating platforms to carry out romance scams and sextortion, causing an estimated $2.8 million in losses to 1,463 identified victims globally.

During the operation, police identified IP addresses, digital infrastructures, domains and social media profiles linked to members of the scam syndicates. These leads and the subsequent arrests also resulted in the seizure of USB drives, SIM cards, and forged documents, as well as the takedown of 81 cybercrime infrastructures across Africa.

The operation, which ran from July 28 to August 11, 2025, and was funded by the United Kingdom’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, resulted in the seizure of 1,235 electronic devices continent-wide.

Ghana’s contribution was particularly substantial, with police confiscating 835 devices, identifying 108 victims, and uncovering financial losses totalling $450,000, of which $70,000 has already been recovered.

“Ghanaian authorities arrested 68 individuals, seized 835 devices and identified 108 victims. Their investigations revealed USD 450,000 in financial losses, with USD 70,000 recovered,” the statement said.

“For romance scams the suspects had used fake profiles, forged identities and stolen images to deceive victims. The scammers extracted payments using a range of schemes, including fake courier and customs shipment fees. In sextortion cases, offenders secretly recorded intimate videos during explicit chats and used them for blackmail.”

According to INTERPOL, investigations in Ghana revealed that suspects “used fake profiles, forged identities and stolen images to deceive victims”, often extracting payments through elaborate schemes involving “fake courier and customs shipment fees”.

The operation revealed varied modi operandi across the participating nations. In Senegal, police arrested 22 suspects who impersonated celebrities to emotionally manipulate 120 victims out of approximately $34,000. Authorities in Côte d’Ivoire dismantled a ring that blackmailed individuals after tricking them into sharing intimate images, resulting in 24 arrests and the identification of 809 victims.

Meanwhile, in Angola, eight individuals were apprehended for using social media and fraudulent documents to create fake identities to target victims.

Source: Graphic Online

- Sponsored -spot_imgspot_img

Disclaimer: The views, opinions, comments, and statements expressed by readers and contributors on this platform are solely their own and do not necessarily reflect those of Imax Media Group or its affiliates.

Send your news stories to editor@max.com.gh and via WhatsApp on +233 506-367-196
Join our WhatsApp channel for the latest news and updates.

- Sponsored -scratch for win

Stay Connected

562,687FansLike
2,463FollowersFollow
583,200FollowersFollow
51,019FollowersFollow
95,943SubscribersSubscribe

Latest stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related Stories

Road to AFCON 2027: Ghana Drawn In Group C

Ghana's road to the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations...

Enzo Maresca Expected to Replace Guardiola As City Boss

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as...

Ebola Outbreak: What W.H.O, MoH Have Said So Far

The director general of the World Health Organization, Dr...

Kassim Mingle Vows to Never Take Over A Relegation Team Again

The experienced Kassim Mingle Ocansey, head coach of Swedru...

‎Celebrities are disrespecting fashion designers— Abrantie the Gentleman

Abrantie the Gentleman, a fashion designer in the country,...

MAX NEWS STAND: Headlines – Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Today on the Max News Stand, we bring you...

Time to sacrifice, time to deliver— Queiroz Charges Black Stars

Ghana Black Stars head coach Carlos Queiroz rallies for...

Ancelloti Recalls Neymar, Leaves Joao Pedro Out of WC Squad

Carlo Ancelotti's unveiling of Brazil's 2026 World Cup squad...

‎Abrantie the Gentleman condemns Dr. Likee’s TGMA attire

Fashion designer Abrantie the Gentleman has condemned the attire...