25.2 C
Accra
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
HomeAfricaBukom Banku Warns: Ghana Boxing Will Collapse Without Sharaf Mahama

Bukom Banku Warns: Ghana Boxing Will Collapse Without Sharaf Mahama

Date:

Ghanaian boxing icon Braimah Kamoko, popularly known as Bukom Banku, has issued a passionate warning about the future of boxing in Ghana, stating that the sport could collapse entirely if Sharaf Mahama, son of  President John Mahama, pulls out of the sport.

Speaking in a recent interview, Bukom Banku praised Sharaf Mahama’s ongoing investments and commitment to reviving local boxing, particularly through the Battle of the Beasts and other youth-centered programs.

“If Sharaf Mahama stops, Ghana boxing go die. Nobody dey support the boxers like him. He dey feed the boys, promote fights, and give hope,” Bukom Banku said in Pidgin on Max Sports.

Sharaf Mahama has emerged as one of the leading private supporters of Ghanaian boxing in recent years, helping stage high-profile bouts and giving emerging talents platforms to shine. His efforts have been widely acknowledged by trainers, promoters, and fighters alike — many of whom have struggled to stay active due to funding issues.

“People just dey talk, but e be Sharaf wey dey really help. Make we protect am,” Bukom Banku added, calling on the Ghana Boxing Authority and Ministry of Youth and Sports to recognize and support Sharaf’s contribution.

As concerns grow over declining infrastructure, lack of sponsorships, and falling interest in local bouts, Bukom Banku’s comments shine a spotlight on how critical individual patrons like Sharaf Mahama have become to the sport’s survival.

The call comes ahead of yet another boxing event backed by Sharaf Mahama, scheduled for later this year at the Bukom Boxing Arena, where several young fighters will be given a national platform.

- Sponsored -spot_imgspot_img

Disclaimer: The views, opinions, comments, and statements expressed by readers and contributors on this platform are solely their own and do not necessarily reflect those of Imax Media Group or its affiliates.

Send your news stories to editor@max.com.gh and via WhatsApp on +233 506-367-196
Join our WhatsApp channel for the latest news and updates.

- Sponsored -scratch for win

Stay Connected

562,687FansLike
2,463FollowersFollow
583,200FollowersFollow
51,019FollowersFollow
95,943SubscribersSubscribe

Latest stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related Stories

Villa Aim to End Long 44-Year Wait For European Trophy

The stage is set for the UEFA Europa League...

MAX NEWS STAND: Headlines – Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Good morning, welcome to another beautiful but wet Wednesday....

Don Moen Celebrates 53rd Anniversary With Wife In Ghana

Legendary American gospel singer Donald James "Don Moen" has...

Southampton Expected to Appeal Championship Final Expulsion

English club Southampton is expected to appeal being expelled...

Road to AFCON 2027: Ghana Drawn In Group C

Ghana's road to the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations...

Enzo Maresca Expected to Replace Guardiola As City Boss

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as...

Ebola Outbreak: What W.H.O, MoH Have Said So Far

The director general of the World Health Organization, Dr...

Kassim Mingle Vows to Never Take Over A Relegation Team Again

The experienced Kassim Mingle Ocansey, head coach of Swedru...

‎Celebrities are disrespecting fashion designers— Abrantie the Gentleman

Abrantie the Gentleman, a fashion designer in the country,...